Distinguished Educators Council
The mission of the Council will be to provide an independent platform for educator voices on reform efforts and implementation, as well as to advise Chalkboard and an array of stakeholders on initiatives not currently being addressed.
We are looking for 12-15 teachers who have been recognized in one of the following ways:
- Teacher of the Year
- Milken Educator
- Presidential Award for Mathematics and Science Teaching
- National Board Certification
- Other significant recognition (Published Educators, District Teacher of the Year, etc)
The goals for the Council:
- Inform: Provide insight on current policy priorities and implementation issues
- Advocate: Act as a key resource and source of information for policymakers, state agency leadership, and community activists
- Lead: Deepen understanding of education policy and strengthen the influence of educator voice in Oregon policy decisions
In order to meet these goals, we have created clear participant expectations:
- In-person Meetings (3-4 meetings per year, 6 hrs per plus 2 hrs prep, total of 24-30 hrs)
- Policy Review (Average of once per month, 1 hr per policy review plus 1 hr of research/prep, total of 12 hrs)
- Advocacy Activity (Twice per year for each member, 2 hrs per plus 2 hrs prep, total of 8 hrs)
Each participant will receive a $1200 stipend to honor their year of service on the Council. The Council will be chosen by the end of April and the first meeting will take place in early May. Participants will be expected to commit to the Council through May 2013 to receive the stipend.
Download the application (PDF).