2017 Legislative Agenda
A vision for a statewide innovation infrastructure, created by and for educators, that aims to empower the teaching profession and lift student outcomes.
Chalkboard’s highest priority is to support Senate Bill 182 to:
- Establish the Educator Advancement Council: A new and innovative approach to leveraging the state's education innovation dollars informed by practice.
- Support educators in a deeper way by tailoring professional development and learning based on their needs.
- Improve the distribution of state innovation dollars across urban and rural districts.
The Educator Advancement Council is a new approach that remakes a fractured system into an effective, coordinated one of consistent strategic, and ongoing teacher development, training, and professional support. All led by those who know most what students need: Our educators.
For too long, professional support has been handed down from above and disconnected from educators' individual needs. It's time we put educators in charge of their own support system--from professional development to leadership opportunities to mentoring.
Senate Bill 182 is based on recommendations developed by the Governor's Council on Advancement.
Chalkboard seeks to prioritize the Network for Quality Teaching and Learning Fund and dedicate funding in the 2017-19 biennium to ensure continued commitment to educator excellence.
- Network Infrastructure and Regional Delivery Pilots
- School District Collaboration Fund
- Leading for Learning
- Culturally relevant and sustaining practices
- Assessment literacy
- Educator preparation supports (TeachOregon best practices)
Other Legislative Priorities
- Senate Bill 183 - Early warning system to monitor high school completion. (See Helpful Links in right sidebar for more information.)
- Senate Bill 221 - Educator preparation program accreditation to extend the cutoff for accreditation from 2022 to 2025.
- House Bill 2845 - To establish a working group to develop statewide ethnic studies standards and create a new category for ethnic studies within the social studies standards. (See Helpful Links in right sidebar for more information.)
- Every Student Succeeds Act - Monitor the development of Oregon's state plan for impacts on educator evaluation systems and implementation of Senate Bill 290.